A profile picture is about the person, not about the outfit. Thus make sure your clothes are not distracting, the focus should be on your face. This means no busy prints nor screaming colours. Use discrete accessories and, for the ladies, be modest with your cleavage.
Not all outfits work well on a picture, here is a list of the don’ts:
- Better to stay away from white, it takes the attention away from your face and makes some people look too pale.
- Black clothes can also make you look pale, and they show every particle of dust.
- No busy prints nor stripes
- No turtle necks, they make your neck look very short.
- No big ear rings nor necklaces, these can be very distracting.
- Avoid low cleavage or big neckline. Depending on the angle of the picture, these can make you look too naked. Is certainly be very beautiful and attractive in real life, but makes your picture weaker.
- Shoulder pads are another no go. On a profile picture they make you look very un-natural.
There are exceptions for everyone and every situation. Once more you first need to think what is your objective.
You cannot decide? Ask professional advice and always bring more outfits with you for a photoshoot.